Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Rechristening myself...

Like everybody else I was born with a name..my father had given it to me..Amritarupa Banerjee...In an age where Adnan becomes Ady,Sandeep becomes sandy,Tejaswy becomes Teju or Pooja becomes Poo..I had never ever hoped that ppl would address me by my first name..Amritarupa..it was shortened to Amrita..Well i really like the name Amrita..It sounded simple,nice n I was pretty happy about the fact that now people would spell and pronounce it right..Just Amrita..Well it was not to be..When i was in kolkata..I was addressed with that typical Bangla accent which made it sound more like Amrito..So much for being a bengali..After migrating to Pune (well literally coz i had to have my migaration cert. done) the real woes Begun..Earlier the pronunciation was a problem..here my name itself changed..Amruta Banerjee..So that was my first rechristening (1996)...When i had shifted bag n baggage to hyderabad for my grads..i was rechristened for the second time..Amritha Banerjee..Amrutha Banerjee..this generous dosage of "h"does happen down south..Swati becomes swathi,Jyoti becomes Jyothi,Even Natasha (which incidentally is a russian name) is turned into Nathasha..
Now when i stare at the letter that i have received from Bangalore this morning..I feel sorry..feel sorry for my father who had so lovingly given me a name...it proudly said ..Ms Amrutha Roopa Banerjee..
And they say "Whats in a Name?"..
I say..A hell lot..

1 comment:

VM said...

Interesting post. And a topic that causes much concern to me too :( That additional 'h' is thrust into my name too .. morphing it into 'Vardhan'. Seems you got troubled by the net too ... publishing the post thrice :D. I've done that too ... published a post 7 times :)
The bigger pain is deleting those 'extras' once you realize the mistake : and that too with the pathetic net connection. A hilarious tragedy.